To prevent washing machine leaks, it’s important to replace your washing machine hoses periodically. This is a simple, low-cost way to help prevent water damage in your home. Since household leaks can lead to expensive damages and mold, it’s best to avoid them as much as possible.
How to Replace Washing Machine Hoses
- Before removing the old hoses, turn off the washing machine’s circuit breaker and unplug it from the electrical outlet.
- Pull the washing machine out from the wall so that you have room to work.
- Turn off the washing machine’s hot and cold water supply valves.
- Place a bucket beneath your work area, since there may be water in the old hoses.
- Remove one hose at a time from the inlet valves at the back of the washing machine by turning the metal hose fittings counterclockwise with a large pair of pliers.
- Then remove the other end of the hoses from the water supply valves by turning the metal hose fittings counterclockwise with the pliers.
- Connect the new hot and cold water hoses to the water supply valves one at a time by turning the metal fittings clockwise and tightening with the pliers.
- Then connect the other end of the new hoses to the washing machine’s inlet valves by turning the metal fitting clockwise and tightening with the pliers.
- Turn the hot and cold water supply valves back on and check carefully for leaks. Use the pliers to tighten any leaky fittings.
- Once you’re sure that the hoses and fittings are leak-free, plug the washing machine back in, push it back into place, and turn the circuit breaker back on.
How Often Should You Replace Your Washing Machine Hoses?
We recommend changing out your washing machine hoses every 3 years to prevent water damage caused by leaky or ruptured hoses. You can find replacement hoses at your local hardware store. They are inexpensive, and for just little extra money you can upgrade to the more durable metal-braided hoses. We highly recommend this upgrade! Investing a few extra dollars now could save you a lot of money down the line.
Have questions about how to replace your washing machine hoses? Need help? Contact us! We provide a full range of residential plumbing services in St. Louis, including washing machine hose replacement, hose bib repair, and much more. Call our office at (314) 501-9950 or email email@example.com.